Ms Crafty: where craftiness rules supreme...

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

When a closetful of yarn just isn't enough...

...you improvise. I was staring down a pile of G's old white t-shirts this weekend, trying to figure out what to do with them. Throwing them out just seemed wasteful--you only need so many shoe shine rags. So, I decided to recycle them in a fun way and turned them into yarn.


First, I decided to knit a dishcloth. It was cute, and seemed rather useful. But, I don't really need 20 dishcloths. I mean, I might eventually, but I really wanted to come up with a project that would use more shirts at once and put a dent in the pile.


So I cut six shirts up into 1 inch strips (1 long, seamless strip from hem to armpits per shirt)...



...and started knitting a bathmat. I ended up using my straight size 19s, which I haven't used in years.



It knit up quickly, and was an instant winner with Thelonious Monkey (yes, the new kitty has a name).



And, I even like how it looks. I think I'm going to have to make more. For now, it's back to baby knitting--will it ever end?!?

4 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's wonderful! I'd love to make one but my husband doesn't wear white Ts.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Hazel Nootsmaak said...

How cool!! Looks really nice and it must feel comfy on the feet, too.

Love the updated kitty name, too - it fits him well!

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger KB said...

OMG. That's really brilliant. And it will wash well too! Perfect!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger ms. crafty said...

I might have some extra tees...I'll let you know!

It is pretty squishy on the footsies, of course, even squishier if you step right on the monkey who LOVES it.

I've already got some crazy ideas like scooping up old navy sale tees (when they drop to $1 and several remain in an adequate color) and whipping up some other bathmats/rugs...

Are these giftable? Hmmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home