Ms Crafty: where craftiness rules supreme...

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Q@L Time



I crafted this character back when I was stuck in a mind-numbingly dull job. The inspiration came from a most excellent KITH (Kids in the Hall) sketch which had a character (Tanya) who proudly proclaimed that she could quit at lunch--because she's a temp. (Hence the line "I can quit at lunch...I'm a temp." Just brilliant.)

Thus Q@L was born. At that particular time, it was only a distant fantasy that helped me (and others) get through the day. I mean, who REALLY does that?

Well, it turns out that thanks to the lovely state of CA, and it's at-will employment laws, anyone can.

As a society, we are definitely conditioned/trained to stick things out and remain dedicated to something even if it makes us 100% miserable. ("Stay the course" anyone?) I say, forget it. Why should anyone commit to a toxic relationship--especially if it involves employment where you end up spending most of your waking hours anyway!

Today, I decided that I had had enough. And though I didn't exactly Q@L, I did manage to QAL (quit after lunch). And I'm not looking back.

Sidenote: I read recently that large amounts of stress affect women more than men, and can lead to premature aging. I don't want any part of that, thank you very much.

So, I'm sorry, new company, that we had to break up. I'd say that it's not me it's you, except that would not be true. It was definitely YOU.

Now, it's time to go knit and listen to Kelly Clarkson.

5 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger badmommy said...

Holy cow! You go girl! Maybe this means we'll see you back at knit night? hint, hint....

xoxo

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Hazel Nootsmaak said...

How traumatic! But good that you ripped off the band-aid sooner rather than later - no one - and I mean no one - needs premature aging.

I think most people would Q@L if there wasn't that base fear instilled at some point in our lives, the fear of ending up living in a tent in our parents' back yard.

And there are companies out there I can't believe are still in business, they run things so poorly from business strategy to personnel management and I thank my lucky stars I'm not an FTE at any one of them.

Now, for the fun part of all this (for me, anyway) - you'll be back in 'Luma soon, and I'm up there once or twice a week now for work, so now we can plan lunch or coffee and see each other more often than 3x a year.

Good on ya!

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger KB said...

Hi sweetie....sorry, just catching up on all my blog reading, and it's only today that I got this! Good for you, and your tough decision-making. Thank goodness you realized that *you* are more important that staying unhappy at a job you don't enjoy.

ps. I admit that Kelly Clarkson is also a guilty pleasure of mine (shh... don't tell anyone)

Come to London then, and just hang out here.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger The Queen said...

Yippie. I came back to Paris to this news and it was a little like vacation continued!! I'm thrilled. We will have to plan coffee more regularly -- and snarky commentary.

And there's Knit Night too...

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger ms. crafty said...

Yes, I will be back at knit night, and hopefully soon :-)

I love meeting for lunches, so we're on nootsie. If it helps, I'll prolly be there Mon, Tues, and Thurs.

KB, I'm checking airfare right now.

Queen, there is most definitely coffee, snark and more knit night in our future.

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home