Ms Crafty: where craftiness rules supreme...

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Chez Grumpus Maximus

IMG_0265

We've got a lot to be grumpy about these days, especially since Griffin and I both managed to contract poison oak this weekend. His is REALLY BAD (covering over 50% of his body)!!!

Mine isn't too bad (a little on each arm, a little on left leg, a little on my face). Before last night I thought I had managed to get off scott free, but last night I started itching like crazy.

The good news is that after day 4 (tomorrow) we shouldn't see new breakouts/patches of oozing itchiness. The bad news is that I/we can't sleep with this business. Literally. No sleep. Even with Benadryl. Argh.

5 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger nootsmaak said...

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

A topical solution of 50% water and 50% bleach helps kill the itch - I've even used straight bleach on small patches that haven't blistered or had broken skin, but that can be a bit much.

If that doesn't help and you still can't sleep, see your doc and get a Rx for Atarax. It's a super strong antihistamine that helps you sleep.

I'll bring you a bar of Fels Naptha you can keep on hand for the next time you come home from an oakey hike & need to make sure that oil is really off your skin. Showering with bleach/water solution at that time helps, too, I'm told, but I've only ever used the FN laundry soap.

Try the bleach & see if that helps...

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Renee said...

owww...yuck, what an unpleasnt thing. But the real question is: Can you still knit? ;')

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger ms. crafty said...

Well, I'm sorry to report that I'm still getting new patches. Ugh.

For now I can still knit, although I have a feeling my hands will end up breaking out by the end of the day. Then all knitting is off.

Of course, knitting whilst on Benadryl might be tough as well. Perhaps I should work on something simple like a dishcloth so I don't end up having to rip...

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger griffin said...

Whoa! I usually stay out this crafty business. However, out of compulsion for public safety, allow me to counter the suggestion that one ought pour bleach on their skin to alleviate the affects of poison oak.

The California Poison Control System, a service of the University of California says:

Do NOT wash the body with liquid bleach after a poison oak exposure. Bleach is not helpful and the vapors can be irritating to the eyes, nose, throat and lungs. Bleach will irritate inflamed skin even more, causing redness and pain to sensitive body parts.

For reference:
http://www.calpoison.org/public/poak.html

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger nootsmaak said...

Well, it's worked for me and a good friend who often gets PO after riding in the Santa Cruz mountains. Try the 50/50 solution - only on the affected skin - and you'll see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home